Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Blog Designer Spotlight: DCR Design

We've spotlighted a few blog designers in the past here on BBA, but now we've decided to feature great blog designers weekly. With the new year, we know many of you bloggers are ready for a fresh new look with your blog, so look no further than our Blog Designer Spotlights.


First up is Jo-Lynne of DCR Design. She is "Beautifying the Blogosphere" and for that, we thank her.

We asked Jo-Lynne to tell us about herself and her design background. "I'm a mom of three, and we live in the suburbs of Philadelphia. I retired from teaching 3rd grade when I was 27 and became a full-time mom. I did some medical transcription from home at times. I discovered blogging in the spring of 2006, and that has gone from being a fun hobby to a part time job with lots of amazing perks.

My personal blog is Musings of a Housewife. I have a product review blog at Reviewsings.com, and I am the founder and managing editor of a beauty and fashion blog called Chic Critique. I also write for the Philadelphia Moms Blog.

I decided to try my hand at designing blogs after I realized what a market there was for it. I credit Jules at Everyday Design for getting me started off on the right foot. She advised me to learn Adobe Illustrator and gave me some instruction over the phone, but beyond that, I basically taught myself."

Here's what Jo-Lynne told us about her design services. "I offer a range of services including headers, buttons, and full blog makeovers. I design for Blogger, Typepad, and Wordpress. I work with the girls at Desperately Seeking Wordpress for Wordpress installations. I also do business cards (and mommy cards).

My philosophy of blog design is to keep the design elements minimal and showcase the content. I've been told my designs are very clean. I also am a huge advocate of using dark print on white background in the content sections; it's much easier on the eyes.

My turn around time is generally 2 to 3 weeks. I work on several designs at a time and try to keep them moving along. I'm committed to being accessible and responsive and to keep my clients apprised of their place in my queue so they don't have to wonder when I'm going to get to their project.

I just love making things pretty, and I think having a unique design is an essential component to a successful blog. Even if you're just updating your family and friends from afar and have no intention of making money or building a brand, your blog will be more enjoyable and more memorable if you have a custom blog design!"

No comments: