Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Uneasy Economy Affecting Stay-At-Home Moms

New York (AP) - “I’m having ’em, so I wanna raise ’em.” That’s the philosophy that led Jenna Kagan to stop working when her daughter was born nine years ago. Two sons soon followed, and their mother remains firm in her belief that staying home with them is best.

But these days, the term “stay-at-home-mom” has taken on a new meaning. Economic stresses, particularly sky-high gas prices, have kept many of these mothers and their families closer to home base than they’d like, a development some find isolating and deeply frustrating. Continued...

Related: Staying sane when stuck at home with the kids!

1 comment:

Bridget said...

Amen to that! It's nearly impossible to not work in some way... but even more difficult to work sometimes. It's insane. If I were to take a full time position, I'd end up taking home less than what I'll take home working 2 12hr nights a week. So I'll just be sleep deprived and see my hubby for only a few evenings a week until the break. Thank God he's a professor and has some breaks in the year... We'll have fun summers at least. Gas is so high here.. we saw $4.64 a month ago... I was so relieved to see $4.13 at Cosco the other day. Insane. My husband is talking about getting a SmartCar or a Prius for his commute to work. Of course, both are on backorder. Everyone has the same idea.