Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Tender Heart Infant Massage

The International Association of Infant Massage is a great resource for finding Certified Infant Massage Instructors around the U.S. and the world. This association trains and certifies instructors who in turn teach parents and caregivers how to massage their babies.

One of these Certified Infant Massage Instructors is Cali Petitt, who introduced us to this program. She is a mompreneur (and Baby Blog Addict reader) who recently started her own business, Tender Heart Infant Massage.

"It's basically in-home infant massage instruction that can be done privately or for groups of friends who want to get together for a series of three mommy and me classes," Petitt told BBA. "Using a teaching doll, I teach parents how to properly perform infant massage. I strongly recommend learning from a certified instructor, since all of the massage strokes have been researched."

Some of the benefits of infant massage include:

  • Deepens bond between parent and baby
  • Promotes relaxation and can help baby sleep better
  • May relieve symptoms due to gas, constipation, teething, sinus congestion
  • Stimulates healthy growth and development

Cali Petitt, CCLS, CIMI, teaches in the Mandeville/Covington, Louisiana area, so if you are in that area, you can reach her at 985-502-0629. If not, you can find a Certified Infant Massage Instructor in your area by checking out the U.S. list of 7,000 instructors.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

My old playgroup hosted an instructor! While I didn't really do this at home... the class was fun and very educational. It's a nice change from the usual playdate.
Oh and we found a woman who had to complete so many classes before her certification... so a free class. nice.

Baby Blog Addict said...

Learning with your playgroup sounds like a great idea, Bridget.

I've given my son massages since he was a baby. He still likes to lay down sometimes for a massage after bath and he's 2 1/2! I don't blame him. He must take after his mommy. I love massages too.

I learned from DVDs before I had him, but I think an instructor type class with friends would have been great.